The Brien Holden Institute, the Australian research firm, has announced plans to launch a series of commercial entities in Australia, China, India, Europe and the U.S. that will be known as Brien Holden Vision companies. These units will market products for myopia and myopia control, presbyopia, and potentially blinding eye disease. The target for these entities, with the institute as the major or only shareholder, is to devote at least 25 percent of their profits and products to support the institute's humanitarian goal of vision for everyone, everywhere, while the other 75 percent is supposed to be devoted to creating new technologies. In the past, the institute has focused primarily on research and licensing to major corporations. Holden said that while at its best working with big companies had provided more than $250 million in royalties over the last 15 years, this was only 1 per cent of the overall sales created.

Topics